South West Epilepsy Nurses Group - Terms of Reference
Reviewed Dec 2018
Purpose and role of the group
SWENG is a nurse led group set up primarily for nurses to
- Ensure continuing professional development and education
- in epilepsy
- Promote consistency and standards of epilepsy awareness training across the South West
- To identify, discuss and address issues of common concern and avoid
unnecessary duplication of effort
- To exchange ideas, strengthen skills, benchmark and share examples of good practice
- To participate and support audit and research
- To peer review and clinical supervision of members
- To present complex case reviews
- Inform commissioning of neurology services across the South West.
Members have responsibilities to
- Professional bodies- NMC
- Employing Trusts
- Other members of SWENG
- Service users
- Individual’s primary/secondary care teams
- Clinical Commissioning Groups
- ESNA and epilepsy Charities.
Responsibilities of the group
- Ensure information provided is relevant, accurate and evidence based
- Provide Continuing Professional Development for members
- Participate in and initiate research and audit epilepsy services
- Set agendas for meetings and review outcomes
- Agree terms or reference annually
- Share good practice
- Discuss and agree/facilitate guidelines/protocols etc across the SW
- Membership of the group is open to those who have an active professional role in promoting and supporting people with epilepsy.
- Membership can also include representatives from other organisations that promote and support people with epilepsy in research funding and commissioning.
- Members of the Group are expected to be involved in research or interested in becoming involved in research.
- Membership is by invitation from any member of the committee
- The group will be led by a committee of nurses representative of the group and open to all members of the group. There will be a minimum of four members on the committee except in exceptional circumstances.
- Committee membership will last for a period of two years.
- After two years the opportunity to be elected for the committee, would be opened up to new Nurses / members
- Membership on the committee will be by nomination.
- Rotation of the committee will be staged to ensure that continuity maintained.
- An annual will be produced by the committee for trustees and members
- Members will be given opportunity to evaluate each meeting by way of feedback forms.
- Any policies, documents produced by the group will be evaluated annually.
- Open to the public / employer/ on the web or by request.
- SWENG has agreed to adopt a shared learning approach. This involves: group meetings and organising an annual conference.
- Impromptu meetings as needed.
- Agenda’s will be circulated, by email, at least one week in advance of meetings. Paper copies of all documents can be posted out to members and alternative formats can be provided, if requested.
- Non-members may be invited to join Group meetings on a one-off basis to aid discussion of a particular topic, for example, as speakers, observers or invited guests
- Secretariat for the Group will be provided by a nominated member who will be responsible for taking minutes at the meetings and circulating to the core committee
- Minutes will be agreed by all members of the Group who attended the meeting and circulated by email unless an alternative format is requested.
- Members may be contacted between meetings for advice should the need arise.
- From time to time focus-groups may be formed to work on specific issues as appropriate.
- From time to time individuals may be co-opted to provide specific advice and expertise as required.
- Focus on education and sharing of information.
- At least three meetings will be held each year, organised and chaired a revolving chair, who will be nominated for each subsequent meeting.
- Topics for the agenda will be generated by members of the group in discussion with the committee.
- CPD certificates of attendance will be available for members.
- Meetings may include small group discussions to share experiences and learning.
Sharing of information and resources
- Through Group meetings and electronic communications members will be able to share information and resources
- It is each member’s responsibility to make it clear where a matter shall remain confidential and not for discussion outside the group
- When sharing documents, members should make it clear if there is a restriction as to:
- Circulation of the documents beyond the Group
- Copyright / use of the contents
Responsibilities of the group
- Produce an annual report for members and trustees
- Administrate annual South West Epilepsy conference
Each member of the committee will have a professional portfolio
- Recruitment and development
- Sponsorship and support
- Education, audit and research
- Information and web
- Finance and membership
- All expenditure will be approved by the committee and records maintained.
- A yearly record will be presented to the group
- A board of trustees will be appointed including representation from neurology services, learning disability services, paediatric services, epilepsy charities and service users
- The committee is responsible for reporting back on activities of the group to the Trustees by way of an annual report.
- To employer
- To the group